Pages

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Dream: A Journal Page

For this page I decided to do a tryptich. I like the idea of little surprises throughout the journal. (I want to do another version of a window soon, too.) The verse says: Even amidst the chaos of life, dreams are born and begin to take flight. It's a little verse I made up to go along with the theme. Here is the page with the extra flap closed:

One thing I keep forgetting to do is date my pages. Doh! The little charm under the girl says Beautiful Dreamer. I liked the aged look of it. I ran into trouble painting her. For some reason I couldn't get the pencils to blend the way I wanted and I wasn't happy with the way it was looking. I added some titan buff paint to smooth it all out and that seemed to at least hide the problems. Here is a closeup of her face:

I had a chance to try out some new watercolors called Twinkling H2O's. Ooh, I like those. I'm not one for watercolors since I prefer bold colors but I wanted a more shimmery, transparent look here and those worked really well. I used them in her eyes and her hair. I also added the Golden's Interference Gold color for the hair. I painted right over top of the watercolor and it made a perfect shimmer!

Here's a closeup of the verse page:

Those little iridescent chips are so cool! They are by Stewart Gill. I can't quite figure out what they are made from but you can adhere them pretty well with gel medium. I have these in purple and teal and I love them. The butterflies are rub-ons, of all things. Suzi Blu used those in class and they really pop when you add them to your page. If you don't like the shiny effect you just cover with matte medium and they blend into the page even better.

I'm practicing the next lesson in Monica Zuniga's drawing class. This week we are doing noses. She makes it look so simple! I find I need lots and lots of practice with the shading. It's coming along, though. I sketched a face using what I've learned so far with the eyes and nose. Hair is still very rough, but I'm sure we'll get to that eventually. I'm putting the sketch into a digital collage and will post something soon.

No comments: