Pages

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Circle of Life: Journal Page

Here is another page from my goddess journal and Suzi Blu's class. I covered the girl with Clear Gesso before shading. I like the rough, gritty texture it gives.

I thought I would do a little stitching on these pages. They seemed to call for that. The verse is from an Elton John song, Circle of Life. If you click on the photo you can probably read it better. I couldn't get the theme of circles out of my head. I saw them everywhere: TV, doodles, etc. I'm doing more poetry writing now and am working on a poem about stages of life. So, the two ideas came together: circles and life...circle of life, the song, etc.

I was also able to use another of my toys: a dip pen with Dr. Ph. Martin's Gold Ink. I first heard about the dip pen from Beryl Taylor in one of her books I was going through (great for inspiration!). I made a mental note that if I ever saw one I would try it. Michael's (of all places) had one so I picked it up. It takes a little getting used to but I liked the effect. I used it on the swirls in the girl's "hair". On the opposite page I used Stickle's gold paint for those swirls.

I wanted to make her a little more abstract with the hair to give me more room to play. For the stamp I used an old metal door pull shaped like a swirl. I stamped it into a thick layer of clear gesso. After it dried I then painted over the raised areas with the ink and dip pen.

I have a ton of little fabric fat quarters that I really don't feel like making into quilts right now so I may start to incorporate more fabric in my journal pages. We'll just see where my Muse takes me. :)

No comments: