Pages

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Warhol Encaustic

Here's a new twist on an old art piece I did. Remember my Warhol collage? This was the one I did with the Citra Solv papers (and it won their contest!). Here is the original on canvas:

I've been reading about applying encaustics over habotai silk and have been wanting to give it a try. So I made a copy of this collage onto a sheet of habotai silk and then applied that to a 12" x 12" Claybord that had two coats of encaustic gesso on it. Then I painted different layers of encaustic paints and medium over the silk. Worked like a dream. Oh, I love the possibilities of painting over the silk in the future...

So if you know anything about Andy Warhol you know he liked to drip various things onto his canvas. We'll just leave it at that. I improvised and dripped encaustic paint onto this one. ;) LOVED how it turned out and now he's joining his twin in our living room. Hubby says enough Andy and please put something else in the living room. He prefers abstracts to paintings of actual people. We'll see...

4 comments:

Lori Saul said...

Wow - loved and remember the original piece and what a cool new technique (I think you are channeling Andy)! Wonderful artistic alchemy at work Pam!

Inspire Others said...

I love it too! you did a awesome job reinventing this collage which I like. I had never work with encaustic just melted crayons to add details in some of my artworks but not like you do. Keep up inspiring us!
Big Hugs,
MoMeMa

Anonymous said...

Love it!!!! So could you also do photos of family members?

Bill said...

When are you teaching a class?