Pages

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Home Fires

This is a new encaustic painting called "Home Fires". It's 12" x 12" x 2" on cradled wood. I was intrigued with a few encaustic artists who incorporate graphite powder into their paintings. I loved that look so I wanted to give it a try. I am very excited about the possibilities with that! I also wanted to make my own stencil and use the graphite powder on that so I made a crude house stencil and then smeared the powder on my fingers and was able get the "burned" house look I wanted. Then I just covered the whole thing with encaustic medium.

I'm slowly getting used to the torch. It's a bit scary but I like how it makes the wax smooth. It can also make really cool dripping effects which I'll use in other paintings. Now I have to go prep some more boards!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!! How fun!

Jackie said...

Love it !! And the title cracks me up .Glad It wasn't a real Home fire !!;)
I think I will be ready for the sookie book number 4 soon:)
Hugs,
Jackie

Sunny K. Lee said...

lovely encaustic painting!!!! very whimsical :)