Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Her Kind


Her Kind
by Anne Sexton

I have gone out, a possessed witch,
haunting the black air, braver at night;
dreaming evil, I have done my hitch
over the plain houses, light by light:
lonely thing, twelve-fingered, out of mind.
A woman like that is not a woman, quite.
I have been her kind.

I have found the warm caves in the woods, 
filled them with skillets, carvings, shelves,
closets, silks, innumerable goods;
fixed the suppers for the worms and the elves:
whining, rearranging the disaligned.
A woman like that is misunderstood.
I have been her kind.

I have ridden in your cart, driver,
waved my nude arms at villages going by,
learning the last bright routes, survivor
where your flames still bite my thigh
and my ribs crack where your wheels wind.
A woman like that is not ashamed to die.
I have been her kind.

This is one of my favorite poems by Anne Sexton. I think I may have even used it before in an art piece. There is a recording here of her reading it. I love to hear poets reading their work! *sigh* Anyway, I was inspired again by the poem (It hangs above my work table along with a million others).

I have never tried drawing with a calligraphy pen. This was my first attempt. Thanks to Misty Mawn's class I'm trying out new ways to draw. The hardest part was trying to figure out how to hold the darn thing and getting it to make some marks. I kept dropping it. Yes, I'm clumsy but that has nothing to do with it.  ;-)  I finally got the hang of it (somewhat). It's the final week of class and so far I think this is my favorite. This is mixed media week and anything goes. That also goes for this painting. Anything and everything went onto it: inks, stamping, paint, collage... whatever I could fling, throw and paint onto it. Fun! 

I'll be leaving this weekend to visit my friend in Ohio. One week in Columbus! Yay! Can't wait to get going. That means another trip to Blick Art Supply. I've been making a list and clearing room in my car trunk.  ;-) 

This is also my entry for Paint Party Friday (and I'm a day early!). Tomorrow be sure to stop by and check out all the other entries. Have a great weekend everybody! 

26 comments:

Netty said...

Terrific piece of artwork for the party Pam. Using a calligraphy pen must be really difficult if you've never used one before. Loving the poem, your artwork is a great reflection of the poem. Enjoy the weekend, x

Carol said...

Well done and the poem is great with this piece!

Bill said...

How cool! I love her wild outfit. And yes, I can see you flying in the night.

Carolyn Dube said...

Wonderful! She goes so well with the poem!!

Debbie said...

This is a really cool piece! I love all of the layers and textures, lovely colors and connection to this wonderful poem. Have fun shopping!

Daniele Valois said...

really neat look to her. Really like this!

Christine said...

beautifully inspired painting!

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful work! Have a great time visiting your friend, and take care! Hugs, Valerie

Mimi Torchia Boothby Watercolors said...

Yes, she's fab! lots of personality in this painting. Great job.
happy PPF!

SHERI COOK said...

The art suits the poem well.
Great job!
Happy PPF!
Sheri Cook
HAPPY HORSE STUDIO

Abela said...

To be your first time, then, the result is quite good. Saludos

EVA said...

Very cool painting and poem. I like the attitude in her face (and the Moon!)

Annabelle said...

I always adore when art is incorporated with words that make beautiful chemistry.....Nicely done.

carlarey said...

I like her a lot. She looks the kind of woman who takes no crap from anyone, and feels no fear whatsoever.

Fantastic work again on illustrating a poem.

Alicia C said...

what a fabulous rendering of a wonderful poet. Anne Sexton is very much worth illustrating - and I love this one. A half formed woman illustrated Anne's message so well

Alexandra MacVean said...

Nice painting and really like how you tied poetry with it. Happy PPF! :)

Ayala Art said...

What a pretty face you made, happy PPF

Å olanje na domu-Waldorf said...

What a beautiful poem and a perfect painting to go along. :)

Unknown said...

I love the way you use poetry so often for inspiration- GREAT idea! And your lady is wonderful with all her soft layers of color and texture and those challenging EYES....
WonDERful!
PPF Hugs,
Stephanie

froebelsternchen said...

great!

Victoria said...

Gorgeous art..atmospheric beauty..love it..and it goes well with A.S..she is fab!! Brilliant post..wonderful!
Victoria

*jean* said...

great work!! and my younger self quite loved anne sexton, thank you for reminding me!! happy ppf

DVArtist said...

This is a fantastic piece of art.
Thanks for sharing Anne Sexton too.
Nicole/Beadwright

Pat Tillett said...

Nice poem and another beautiful work of art by you! Enjoy your trip Pam...

Lori Saul said...

Love this work- you have a gift with faces and expressions Pam. The poem is perfect too. Always such a moving post!

Christine Krauss said...

Just crazy about this one Pam! Absolutely love it! You knock my socks off! Fabulous! xo