Pages

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Visitor


"When death comes
like the hungry bear in autumn;
when death comes and takes all the bright coins
 from his purse
to buy me, and snaps the purse shut;
when death comes
like an iceberg between the shoulder blades,

I want to step through the door,
full of curiosity, wondering:
what is it going to be like, that cottage of darkness? ...

When it's over, I don't want to wonder
if I have made of my life something particular, and real.

I don't want to find myself sighing and frightened,
or full of argument.

I don't want to end up simply having visited this world."

from "When Death Comes"
By Mary Oliver

7 comments:

Bill said...

Holy cow. I'm speechless. Both by the beauty of your work and by the deepness of the poem. I've never been afraid of death before, but I've been feeling so badly lately, that death seems to often come to mind. I need to copy that poem and read over and over again.

Bill

Junibears said...

This painting is so beautiful Pam. Mary Oliver's poem frightens me a bit. As you grow older you think of death more and I don't want to...
Hugs xx

Pat Tillett said...

Both the poem and painting are beautiful. The painting is amazing!
I saw your link at Rabbit's blog and I came to check you out. If you don't mind, I'm going to tag along. thanks!
Patrick Tillett, Extremely Overdue

KaLynn ("MiMi") said...

Love the painting!

Martin said...

Birds and trees - images that often inspire me to write. In combination with this contemplative poem your painting reveals more levels of interpretation ... Does the tree still have its roots in the ground?The shadow of a person in shelter ... My quintessence: wonderful.

Pam Tucker said...

Martin: Thank you so much! Your writing is so beautiful. I always look forward to your poetry. I really appreciate your comment. :)

Unknown said...

ı loved how you mix the colors that is so professional