Pages

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Another Digital Altered Book

It's been awhile since I've done one of these. For those of you who don't know, Artella offers what is known as "digital altered books". Here's how it works: there are 10 pages from an old book (including the covers) that have been put into digital form. You buy the packet and then alter each page as you would a traditional altered book; only you do it digitally. When you have finished altering your pages and covers, you send your files back to Artella. They, in turn, will convert your digital files into a finished digital book that you can enjoy. There is a feature that lets you turn each page with your mouse, and you can even hear the pages as they turn!

This is where all of the digital elements I like to use come in handy. You can alter the pages to your heart's content! You don't have to keep any of the book text at all. Just "paint" over the whole thing if you like.

I've done three of these so far and had forgotten to put the links to them in my sidebar. They are there now under "My Digital Altered Books". Click on the link and it will take you to the Artella site where the books have been converted. My user name on the Artella site is "Isabella" so that's why the author of all my books has that name. ;)

So today I'm starting another one. The book is called, "A Romance of Two Worlds" and I have just finished page one. I always save the covers for last. I did keep a few snippets of text from the original page and then digitally altered the rest of it. So, every now and then I'll show a page from this project. It's been fun paging through the books again. I can see such a difference in my digital style now versus then. I've had another year of experience working in Photoshop but it's fun to re-visit older pieces.

Artella is hosting a digital altered book contest and the entries have to be completed by March 1. Digital art is something I really enjoy and can do pretty quickly so I should have no problem completing the 10 pages. The other three books I've done have been a lot of fun. Check them out!

1 comment:

Seth said...

What a great idea. Thanks for letting us know about Artella's digital books. Looking forward to seeing more.