Pages

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Three Things: An Art Journal Page

This is a journal page I did for an art journal group I belong to online. The prompt was to use our favorite color. I picked purple. I thought it was interesting that when I went to work on this prompt a piece of paper fell out of the journal that had a poem printed on it. It was by Mary Oliver, one of my many favorite poets, and the poem was, In Blackwater Woods. These lines really spoke to me as I read the poem so I typed them up, put them on some colorful paper and pasted them onto the page.

Considering my last post, I thought this was an appropriate follow-up. And so timely! My Muse must still be working on this theme. I had forgotten that I put the poem in the journal. I had planned on using it for something else but I thought it would work for this prompt.

I liked working with the paint again. I just smeared it all over the page with my fingers. I find I am doing that more and more now, not even using any of my brushes. Then I took some scraps of CitraSolv paper that I had in my stash and glued those on, covered them with more paint and then added the word strips. The heart is made from CitraSolv paper that I cut out using a wooden heart as a template and then smeared a little paint on it after it was glued onto the page.

After I scanned this photo into Photoshop I added a few shadows here and there and then my initials but that's about it. It was fun to just "get my hands dirty" and play! And speaking of play, I am going to be able to break out the encaustics this weekend. Looks like the temps will finally be cool enough to open the windows and plug in the hot plate. Hope to have something to show by Monday!

4 comments:

Jackie said...

I love it and I love the poem . Letting go is hard isn't it?
I always love seeing what you are doing over here . You are such a wonderful talent:)
Hugs,
Jackie

Lori Saul said...

I love purple, it says so much on its own. Wonderful use of the color here and such expressive words- you are really quite a poet yourself. Beautiful and thought provoking journal work!

Bill said...

Your art always has such a deep meaning to it. Wonderful!

Junibears said...

I read your words and they went deep Pam....
Gorgeous work, loose and free.
Wish I could be more like this.
Hugs June xx