Pages

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Heavenly Whispers

This is my finished painting. I wanted to have it completed by April 2. My Mom would have turned 70 on that day and I try to make one piece of art dedicated especially to her each year since she passed away. I can't believe it's been six years...still seems so recent.

This painting was yet another stretch for me in the watercolor medium. I used both watercolor paints and pencils for her. I like the blending that you can get with the pencils and I find the paints to still be a challenge. I wanted her to have a stylized look; not so much a "realistic" color to her face.

The surprising thing was a note that was left on the painting yesterday morning. Hubby wrote such a sweet, encouraging note to me. It just made my day and made the painting that much more special.

For finishing touches, I added some tulips from some decorative napkins and then used a palette knife to lay down a heavy layer of acrylic paint. Finally, I sprinkled on some mica flakes to give it an ethereal feel.

This painting is dedicated to my Mom, Phyllis Carolyn Storer, who passed away much too early at the age of 64 in 2004. I love you, Mom and this is how I feel everyday...wondering about how it must be for you in Heaven right now! :)

2 comments:

Bill said...

A beautiful tribute!

Michele said...

What a lovely painting for your mom! I'm sure she would love it. Loving your watercolor techniques. you are quite the jack of all trades. :) I love seeing what you will come up with next.